Engineering PermitsEngineering Permits, to be issued by the Engineering, are required for all construction activities within private property, dedicated public right of way, and easements, including, but not limited to the permit types listed below:
Engineering Permit TypesThe following is a list of the most requested Engineering Permits and the construction activity that each permit covers. Double click on the permit type to find more information on the procedure required to submit for each permit type.
- Driveway (Paving) Permit -Installation or Modification of a residential driveway made of asphalt, concrete, or pavers for new construction, existing single-family, or existing multifamily residence.
- Excavation Permits- Lakes and Canalsrequire a permit from Broward County or South Florida Water Management District before submitting to the City
- Excavation of Below Ground Facilities Permit - Installation and removal of underground storage tanks (i.e. gas tanks, cisterns)
- New Development/Redevelopment- new construction or redevelopment project that consists of construction of a new building or alteration to the exterior of an existing building.
- Maintenance of Traffic Permit - Temporary modification of traffic patterns within City right-of-way or on private property when major construction affects parking lot circulation and traffic patterns
- Miscellaneous Permit- Engineering plans that do not fall into other category
- Sidewalk Permit - Installation, replacement, and repair of sidewalk
- Site Plan Permit - Site permit for new construction or redevelopment that involves the construction of a new building or alteration to the exterior of an existing building
- Site Work Preparation Permit - Clearing and grubbing of a site and/or installation of erosion control measures including demolition of paving, curbing, and sidewalk
- Utility Right of Way Permit – Installation, replacement and demolition/removal of utilities
- In order to obtain an Engineering Permit, a completed Engineering permit application or an Engineering Conceptual Approval for Franchise permits can be submitted at the permitting office of the City, located in the Development Services Department , 4300 NW 36th street, Lauderdale Lakes. The permit must be submitted with the required documents required for each permit type.
- Fees The fees for Engineering Permits are listed in the Fee schedule which has been adopted by the City Commission. You can pay the calculated fee at the time the permit is approved and pick up. All work that begins prior to receiving an approved permit will be charged a double fee.
- For a single Family property, the homeowner can apply for all permits with the exception of any of the underground utility permits. If a homeowner is hiring a contractor, the City recommends the contractor obtain the permit. The contractor must be registered with the City at the time the permit is pick-up. All underground utility permits require a licensed underground contractor to perform the work.
- All contractors obtaining Engineering Permits, must register annually with the City at the Community Development Department, Building Division by completing a Contractor’s Registration Form.
Engineering Permit Requirements
Engineering permits require an independent Engineering application form additional from the building application. The submittal requirements will depend on the type of work proposed. Specific requirements for the most common permit types including submittal requirements, restrictions, construction requirements and inspections required can be found by double clicking on the permit below. All work must be completed in accordance with the City of Lauderdale Lakes policies, procedures, standard details and specifications, the City's Code of Ordinances, and all County, State, and/or Federal requirements. No land Development activity shall commence without first obtaining engineering plan approval, and engineering construction permit, and paying the appropriate fee. Copy of this permit must be kept at the site.
The required inspections for each permit type can be found in the Engineering Permit type located above or in the Permit Requirement Document. Please note these are typical requirements and other inspections may be required depending on the scope of work for the permit. If a permit has been issued, the required inspections are located on the back side of the permit/permit card. If an inspection is failed, there will be a re-inspection fee per the Fee Schedule.
Inspections can be requested by calling Development Service at 954-535-2481 Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM and 2.00 PM one day in advance of your requested inspection date. Please be sure the permit card and a job copy of the approved plans are prominently displayed for the inspector’s review. Inspections typically can be completed within three (3) business days, with the exception of specific inspections that require the scheduling of the engineer of record and other construction team members (i.e. pressure test, lamping, final site permit inspections, any final inspection of a permit, etc.). The final scheduling of these specific inspections will be coordinated by the Engineering Inspector after the inspection request has occurred.