Hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30th. It is important to plan ahead in order to keep your family safe. Prepare now for the risks associated with hurricanes and also be prepared to act on that plan when alerted by emergency officials.
Review Broward County's Hurricane Preparedness Guide and Emergency Checklists.
Below are a few tips to help you prepare in the event of a storm:
- Sign up to CodeRed to receive emergency notifications.
- Ensure that you have food and water for each member of the household for at least 3 days.
- Fill your vehicle’s gas tank.
- Fill your prescriptions and ensure your medicines are secured.
- Procure batteries and chargers for flashlights, phones and radios.
- Have a cell phone with a charger.
- Bring in any items that can be picked up by the wind (bicycles, patio furniture, etc.)
- Secure all personal documents.
- Obey Emergency orders.
- Residents with special needs must register with https://www.broward.org/Registry/Pages/Default.aspx
- Plan to protect and care for pets.
- After the storm do not place hurricane debris in your garbage can or cart. Keep regular garbage separate from vegetative debris.