Landlord Registration and Residential Rental Property Inspections Program
Effective immediately, no person shall lease or continue to lease a residential rental unit unless that person has first obtained from the city a valid Residential Rental Certificate of Use for that unit. Correspondingly, no certificate shall be issued until the appropriate fees have been paid, an inspection by a code inspector has been completed, and the code inspector has determined that no material violation of the requirements of Chapter 50 of the City Code, which sets forth certain regulations pertaining to housing standards, exists upon the property.
A residential rental unit is defined as: any residential dwelling that is leased for residential purposes, including any single-family home, multi-family dwelling (including condominium units), duplex, triplex, and quadraplex, mobile home, or other similar unit. Residential rental unit shall not include any dwelling unit that is owned by a federal, state, or local housing program or that is subsidized by the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, hotels, motels, public lodging establishments, as defined in F.S. § 509.013, or any community residential facility licensed and inspected by the State of Florida.
The purpose of the Landlord Registration and Residential Rental Property Inspections Program is to create a database of current and accurate information required to contact a property owner, or designated entity, regarding health or safety violations, minimum housing code complaints, and/or emergency situations involving residential rental units. The program's further purpose is to conduct rental property inspections to address substandard maintenance of rental properties, promote greater compliance with property maintenance standards, protect property values, and preserve the quality of the City’s neighborhoods and available housing.
Application Fee: $75.00 per Parcel
Inspection Fee: $150.00 per Unit
Each property inspected pursuant to the application requested and each building or unit offered for rent or lease or which is rented or leased and not otherwise exempt shall meet the following standards established by the city in addition to and supplemented by other requirements adopted by the city, in order to maintain property values and improve the appearance of the city, as well as to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the occupants of the property inspected:
(1) All legally required fire safety requirements shall be provided and maintained.
(2) The interior of each dwelling unit shall be maintained in accordance with the provisions set forth in section 50- 67 of the Code.
(3) The premises of each property shall be maintained in accordance with the property maintenance standards set forth in section 42-6 of the Code.
(4) All landscaping shall be maintained in accordance with the landscape maintenance standards set forth in section 42-7 of the Code. Development Services Department Code Compliance Division 4300 Northwest 36th Street Lauderdale Lakes, Florida 33319-5599 Administrative Offices: (954) 535-2760
(5) Each residential living unit shall be provided with close-fitting solid waste storage equipment or garbage containers adequate for the storage of household garbage, trash and refuse. Furthermore, each unit shall be provided with an approved leak-proof, covered, outside garbage container for appropriate disposal.
(6) Swimming pools shall be maintained in accordance with the provisions set forth in section 42-11 of the Code.
(7) All land and structures shall be kept free from insect and rodent infestation. All structures in which insects or rodents, or evidence thereof, are found shall be promptly exterminated in accordance with the provisions of section 42-13 of the Code.
How to submit applications with applicable fees:
In person: Development Services Building3521 NW 43 Avenue Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33319 Monday-Thursday 8:00am and 3:30pm (excluding City-observed holidays) We accept Cash, Check, Money Order, Debit Card or Credit Card By mail: City of Lauderdale Lakes Attn: Code Compliance 4300 NW 36 Street Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33319 Make Checks or Money Orders payable to: The City of Lauderdale Lakes
Should you have any questions regarding the Landlord Registration and Residential Rental Property Inspections Program please contact the Code Compliance Division at (954) 535-2760 or Code@LauderdaleLakes.org. Thank you in advance for your cooperation as we seek to protect the health, welfare and safety of our citizens by eliminating overcrowding, substandard living conditions, unsanitary conditions and unsafe structures.